Autism MeetUp – Our first community event
On 2nd April 2016, we held a community event at UNSW in Paddington, Sydney. We wanted to showcase all the different research projects we are involved in, as well as give you a chance to come and meet us in person. The event was very successful with over 70 autistic children and adults, family members, carers/support people and health professionals in attendance. See some pictures below from the event.
Thank you to everyone who attended, and also thanks for those that provided us with some feedback. We are happy to report that 94% of people who gave feedback were ‘satisfied’ or ‘very satisfied’ with the event and said they were ‘likely’ or ‘somewhat likely’ to attend the event again next year.
Here were some of the comments left by attendees at the Autism MeetUp:
“(I liked the) casual and approachable atmosphere. Engaging researchers who are clearly committed to furthering our knowledge base.”
“(I liked) being able to move freely amongst various tables, meeting and chatting… As an advocate, parents benefit from open opportunities like this to get the sense of support, and information exchange between parents, looking forward to future events.”
“It was good to meet some of the younger researchers and discuss their projects… It was refreshing to be exposed to newer ideas, some brought about of course by increasing medical technology”
Autism MeetUp is an informal event to allow autistic people, their families, researchers and a range of others interested in autism to ‘meet up’, connect and share ideas in a relaxed and friendly environment. At the event, you will have the chance to:
- Wander around and have a look at a number of different stands, which contain information about different research projects
- Talk to the researchers in a relaxed, informal and friendly environment
- Share your ideas and feedback about the different projects
- Sign up for a research project which may interest you
- Share your ideas about what we should be researching
This is a free, family-friendly event with no dress code. A free barbecue will also be provided.
Saturday April 2, 2016
11am – 3pm (Please note: you do not have to stay for the whole time. Feel free to come and go)
UNSW Art & Design
Cnr Oxford St & Greens Rd, Paddington NSW 2021
(Click here for detailed venue information)
Who Will Be There
- Researchers from different faculties across the University of New South Wales (UNSW Australia), who all work with autistic people in their research (Click here to meet the researchers);
- Autistic people of all ages and their families; and
- Others with an interest in autism and autism research
We expect there to be between 30 to 50 people in the event space at any given time.
How To Attend
In order to attend this event, please click the ‘RSVP’ tab on the top right hand corner of this page (or click here). This will take you to a brief form for you to fill out.
If you have any questions, please contact us:
P: (02) 9385 0620